Friday, June 3, 2011

How do I change the serpentine belt on my 98 Malibu, do I need special tools?

I need to change out the water pump, it is leaking, thought the belt may need to be changed at this time too. It has been wet.How do I change the serpentine belt on my 98 Malibu, do I need special tools?Breaker bar and socket are all the tools you need. Find the tensioner and twist it like the other guys say. But, one of the great improvements of the serpintene belt over the old belts is that they rarely need to be changed in the life of the car. If it is damaged or glazed in some way then change it. Other than that, just put the old one back on.How do I change the serpentine belt on my 98 Malibu, do I need special tools?If you are going to do it yourself, just ask the parts guy how to at the counter, maybe he will offer to come change it for you.How do I change the serpentine belt on my 98 Malibu, do I need special tools?should do all that stuff at the same time sense it all apart i take it to the dealer they have tools for that kind of work.How do I change the serpentine belt on my 98 Malibu, do I need special tools?A pry bar or long handled appropriate socket to release the tensioner(gently) and the appropriate wrenches for the water pump and some body fairly stout ought to do the trick...How do I change the serpentine belt on my 98 Malibu, do I need special tools?Under the hood of the car there will be a belt routing diagram. On that diagram it will tell you which pulley is the automatic tensioner. Sometimes the tensioner is hard to reach and a serpentine belt tool is needed but if the tensioner can be reached it usually needs to be rotated counter clockwise to relieve pressure on the belt. Once the pressure is relieved slip the belt off. Follow the belt routing diagram to install the new belt on the correct pulleys. Rotate the tensioner counter clockwise and slip the belt onto the last pulley. Before the engine is started make sure the belt is sitting flush on all of the pulleys or you will damage the new belt.How do I change the serpentine belt on my 98 Malibu, do I need special tools?I belive it is a 15mm on the tensioner once you have the belt depending on which motor it has you may have to take off the upper motor mount you will see after the belt is off if you have to or not other than sliding it over the smooth idler last it is fairly simpleHow do I change the serpentine belt on my 98 Malibu, do I need special tools?The main problem that needs to be addressed is the water pump. If you replace the belt but don't fix the water pump, the belt will be toast soon after. The other thing is that most repair shops include a new belt with the price of replacing a water pump.