Friday, June 3, 2011

I have a GE Gas dryer and I need to change the belt but don't know how. Any ideas?

My dryer is an old one; it may be from before 1980. It was in my mobile home when I moved in, with no owner's manual. The model number is DDG7188PKLWH. Does anyone know where I can get info on how to change the belt, or have any tips for me?I have a GE Gas dryer and I need to change the belt but don't know how. Any ideas?This is a simple repair. On the backside of the dryer, there should be an access panel you can open by removing screws.



The belt simply loops over the dryer drum, over one pulley that provides tension, and around the pulley on the drive motor.



Locating the correct belt is more difficult. Sears has service centers locally and they sell parts for all makes and models.I have a GE Gas dryer and I need to change the belt but don't know how. Any ideas?manufactures website has all this information...maybe even a live 800 operatorI have a GE Gas dryer and I need to change the belt but don't know how. Any ideas?Look in the yellow pages to see where you can buy the part. Go to the library and see if you can get a Readers Digest Repair book . Should be able to do it, just takes a long time with all the small screws...I have a GE Gas dryer and I need to change the belt but don't know how. Any ideas?You can call GE they have an 800 number and they will walk you through the entire process. They are very good. Or you can go to a GE parts store and they will have a easy to use repair manual on the machine. They have always been very helpful for me over the years. Don't be afraid. You can do it.I have a GE Gas dryer and I need to change the belt but don't know how. Any ideas?Find the model # then go to GE appliances on line. You will have to remove the outer front cover and probably to top as well. the you need to remove the drum to get to the motor and the belt. I had to do this with our Kenmore dryer. they are all similar with only subtle differences.I have a GE Gas dryer and I need to change the belt but don't know how. Any ideas?Simple repair. Open the front door remove four Phillips head screws holding the top to the front lip. Raise the top and support it so it wont fall. At the bottom of the front section near the floor you will find one 5/16 sheet metal screw on each side. Loosen but do not remove these screws.



Back at the top, look inside where the front meets the main cabinet. There is another 5/16%26quot; screw on each side.Remove

them. The front will now pull away and lift off the bottom screws. Slide the new belt(Grooved side against the drum)around the drum. You will see the ware mark on the drum to know how to position it. Put the front back on. tighten screws. Put the top down and fasten with the four phillip screws. Remove the rear cover at the bottom. DO NOT THROW AWAY THE BRICK INSIDE. Take the belt coming from your left and put the back side of the belt over the top of the plastic pulley(Spring tension into the pulley arm until the belt will reach around the motor pulley) slowly release the pulley to take up the slack in the belt. Put the back on. Start the dryer. Have a beer. Enjoy the game.



The part # you want is: WE12X82P drive beltI have a GE Gas dryer and I need to change the belt but don't know how. Any ideas?Yeah getting the right belt helps, if you have the old one take it with you along with the model number etc. they can size it easily usually,look in your yellow pages or if you know of a appliance parts store, Its a ***** to change really. The whole friggen drum comes off etc, there should be a diagram on the inside bottom or back showing you the belt how it has to go around the tensioner over and or under deal. Best to have some room to do this. Oh if its electric heat becareful with the heating element !I have a GE Gas dryer and I need to change the belt but don't know how. Any ideas?I agree with Lon.I have a GE Gas dryer and I need to change the belt but don't know how. Any ideas?LIKE OTHERS RELITIVELY SIMPLE, IF YOU ARE MECHANICALLY INCLINED....





WHILE YOU'RE IN, REPLACE ALL ROLLERS( THINGS THE DRUM RIDES ON ), IF YOUR MOTOR IS SUSPECT, GO AHEAD %26amp; SPEND IT, PLUS NEW BELT TO BOOT, = 10+ MORE YEARS OF SERVICE!I have a GE Gas dryer and I need to change the belt but don't know how. Any ideas?EASY BUT A PAIN.TAKE SCREWS OUT UNTELL YOU CAN REMOVE CONTROLS.THEY WILL COME OFF TOP IN ONE BLOCK.THE RAISED PART OF THE TOP. THEY WILL ALSO UNPLUG FROM DRYER IF NEED B.IF SO DONT FORGET TO LABEL WIRES SO U PUT THEM BACK THE RIGHT WAY.THEN START TAKING SCREWS OUT THAT WILL LET U REMOVE THE TOP AND FRONT.TOP SOMETIMES WILL POP UP IF U STRICK IT AT THE SEEM BETWEEN THE TOP AND MAIN BODY.NEXT WHEN REMOVING THE FROUNT MAKE SHARE DOOR DOESNT FLOP AROUND IT WILL SPRING HINGES.NOW U CAN SEE THE BEAREL AND BELT IT IS REAL SKINNY.THE BELT IS WRAPPED AROUND THE DRUM AND ALSO A LITTLE WHEEL. THAT IS THE TENSION WHEEL.TAKE A MINUNIT AND SEE HOW BELTS WRAPS AROUND DRUM AND WHEEL.PUSH SMALL WHEEL DOWN TO TAKE BELT OFF AND PUT ON.PUSHING WHEEL DOWN RELEASES TENSION ON BELT.WHEN NEW BELT IS ON PUT ALL BACK TOGETHER.DO NT THINK YOU HAVE 2 DO ALOT U DONT CHANGING BELT IS EASY. GETTING 2IT IS THE PAIN P.S. SOMETIMES ITS NOT THE BELT BUT THE WHEEL. U CAN TELL EASY ONCE ITS APART BRACKET WHEEL IS ON IS BENT OR WORN OUT IF SO GO TO USED APLAYENC DEALER THEY MOST TIMES HAVE TAKE OFFS 4 APPX 4OR5 BUCKS.HOPE THIS HELPS.