Friday, June 3, 2011

When is the time to change your timing belt?

I have bought my 1994 honda civic in 2005 from the dealership. I figured maybe before I bought it maybe they replaced all that stuff already. I have been driving all this time and I am kinda worried because I have to commute, a hour to school 3 days a week. I didn't want my car to just die becasue the timming belt snaps and me being stuck. I probably put about a little over 30,000 miles in to it already. When should I change the timming belt?When is the time to change your timing belt?The Timing Belt replacement interval for a Honda of that vintage is every 60k miles. If you don't know when it was last done, do it. Many, mmany poeple NEVER change the Timing Belt because of the cost so there is the possibility yours is original!



Given the age of the vehicle while your in there I would recommend replacing the Timing Belt Tensioner, any idler pulley's (these all come together in a %26quot;Timing Belt Component Kit) and the Water Pump, which is driven by the T-belt as well. This is all just preventive maintenance but cheaper to do while your already in there than later on.



Your Honda has what is called an interference engine in which, should the T-belt brake, pistons and valves will come together in nasty and expensive ways. An ounce of prevention...



ASE Certified Automotive Service AdvisorWhen is the time to change your timing belt?If in doubt change it, but usually go be the manual.When is the time to change your timing belt?you should change it at 60000 miles if you dont you stand a chance of blowing your engine. it might cost you 200 to change the belt or 2500 to get a new engineWhen is the time to change your timing belt?the owners manual will give you the correct mileage if you don't have one ask the dealer and when you reach that mileage don't procrastinate - changing the belt is cheaper than changing what a broken belt damagesWhen is the time to change your timing belt?do u mean the serpentine belt ? its on the outside of the motor the timing belt (chain) is internal and should be done by a certified mechanic due to timing of the motor being kept right. if you mean the serpentine belt then it should be changed about every 40,000 to 50,000. if u look at it and can see cracks in it change itWhen is the time to change your timing belt?I can offer a little experience on this. I've had 2 Honda civics. Both failed their belts right at about 90000 miles. (I know, I know...) FIrst one happened right as I was getting divorced and the second one happened at the same time my business was failing. First time I got lucky, my mechanic put a new belt on and it ran ok. He said that happens about 20% of the time. Haven't had the second fixed yet. I have figured out that to verify that the belt is what failed, all I had to do was pop the oil filler cap, and look at the cam with a flashlight while somebody else cranks the engine.When is the time to change your timing belt?i own a repair shop and on any car i change them at every sixty thousand miles whether they need it or not,that's whats recommended and if you change them at that mileage you don't have to worry about it,i make it a rule to change all the belts every sixty thousand miles,and this way you can drive it instead of worrying about a belt that might break on it or something.good luck with it hope this helps.When is the time to change your timing belt?You need to check the interval of change first. If it's 100,000 miles, and you're on 110,000, the time is NOW. Some cars will go a long time, others only 40,000 or so. I doubt a dealership would have replaced it just because, but you'd have to ask them if they did, depending on the mileage on the car. All cars are different so there are no convenient answers, except to find out what engine you have, the year, model, then you can find out the timing belt replacement interval from a dealership or reference book.When is the time to change your timing belt?50,000 miles is a good time to change the belt.

While your at it, change the water pump at the same

time, since you have to remove it to get to the belt.

Relatively inexpensive and good preventive measure.
  • horses
  • poison ivy spread
  •