Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I change the belt out in a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT?

this is the main belt on the passenger side of the engine. The engine is a front wheel drive which is not a problem for me but it looks like I have to support it with a jack before I can take the belt off.How do I change the belt out in a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT?well it depends on the motor mount on the front of the engine but you will probablly have to take it off before you can get the belt off and then use the belt tensioner to release tnesion and rerout it the same way it comes off.

note* always use a block of wood under the oilpan when you have to jack the motor up before you loosen then motor mount

the block of wood is to protect the oil pan.How do I change the belt out in a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT?Look for the idler pulley, then get a half inch ratchet use it to take the pressure off of the belt, slide the belt off of one of the pulleys and then out of the engine bay. Do the reverse to put the new one on. **Make sure your belt diagram is still on the hood or near the radiator for reference when you re-install.How do I change the belt out in a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT?Depends on the motor. On some you do have to take the mount off. these are such a pain in the butt. Your best bet is to get a manual for the car (online or print) and go from there. It'll be money well spent.